Frame Turned Tray

I found this really nice big frame at the thrift store for $4.00. I thought of a couple different uses for it but then decided to turn it into a tray.

Here's a picture of it. Notice the "matting" around the picture, well it's fake. It's part of the picture. So anyway I knew I wasn't going to use the picture so it didn't matter anyway, but just thought it was kind of funny.



First off I covered the glass because there was backing on the frame, which I ended up ripping off anyway.



Then gave it a coat of white spray paint. I didn't cover it very good because I wanted to give it a distressed look so some of the brown was still showing.



After it got some spray paint, I added a black handle on each side that I found at Home Depot for $2.79 each. So I drilled some holes and then attached the handles.



I found some cute outdoor material at JoAnn's for $4.50. I got a 1/2 yard but only used half of it.



I hot glued the material to the cardboard backing of the frame.



Then I put it back in the frame and there ya go - Tray.



Add a few accessories and use it as a table center piece, or on a coffee table or even on your outdoor picnic table.



I'm linking up to:
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!






Making

The Girl Creative

UndertheTableandDreaming





Visit thecsiproject.com



Ornament Party

Comments

  1. I like the idea of "the distress look"
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea..I keep thinking I want to buy a frame just to try it. :p Do you put the glass back in??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! This is such a great idea! I was actually thinking about how to make a cute tray just yesterday and this is perfect! Thanks for coming by my blog yesterday! I agree, cookies would be great on the plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did put the glass back in for a hard surface that would be easy to clean, but you could leave it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the answer!! :D I was thinking it would be that way, but wasn't sure if there was some hazard or something that made glass a poor choice. :) Well, I have a huge stack of frames in the garage to plunder...I think I should get it started! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure why I above I said I needed to buy...unless I was thinking I wanted a much larger than I owned frame? :p Who knows..but now I just look like a total ditz. :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO ADORABLE! A TOTAL FAV. THING i have seen today! I so need to make one of these. I love all the pieces you used to set on top of it. I almost bought that large wood flower at Roberts Crafts the other day, but I put it back. Love this, thanks for linking and your support too. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. do you live in ST. GEORGE? I am in Hurricane! jenglamgirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute idea I love it. I featured this on my new blog today go check it out and grab a button!
    http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2010/07/frame-turned-tray.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I think I have a frame I can use and left over fabric I bought at JoAnn's and used to recover a chair a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is completely fabulous! Very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out fabulously! What creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fabric you chose. Heading to Joanns today!

    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw a similar post to this on Lemon Tree Creations, but I love the fabric you chose for yours and I love that you added handles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am REALLY loving this! What a fantastic job! Looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

    Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/old-frame-to-pretty-tray/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kathy. What a fabulous transformation. I love the white and green - very pretty! I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase party! Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very clever, I never would have thought to turn a frame into a tray, I really like how you arranged the things on it. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great project! I'm putting your tray in the PoPP Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute! Love the idea of using a frame. I can't wait to look around your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here from HOH! This idea is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment.

Popular Posts